Habanero Queso Cheese Recipe
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Spiciness Level: 3/7
Just in time for Cinco de Mayo, we made a queso that everyone can enjoy.
- 2-4 cups Shredded Cheese
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 can Chipotle in Adobo
- 2 Habaneros (minced)
- 2 oz Cream Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Almond Flour
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 tsp Garlic
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Melt the butter in a large pan and cook the garlic and habanero for a couple of minutes.
- Sprinkle the cumin and chipotle peppers on and mix it in.
- Add in the cream cheese and milk. Whisking it in so everything combines and gets all melty.
- Combine the cheese and flour in a separate bowl.
- Sprinkle the cheese/flour combo into the melted mixture, whisking as you go. This cheese will determine how thick your queso ends up, so add a bit, whisk it in, add some more, whisk it in, until it is a consistency you like.
- Serve immediately with your favorite chips or chip substitute.
Based on a recipe by Half Baked Harvest, we swapped peppers and went with habanero peppers to really bring the heat. No de-seeding here!
This is a great dip that kicks you in the face while also being fairly low-carb friendly. No standard flours here, and the almond flour is minimal.
Again, the amount of shredded cheese you add will thicken the queso, so be wary. The benefit of heavy whipping cream is it’s liquidy and low-carb, but the detriment is that it’s not as liquidy as whole or 2% milk, so everything thickens up a little faster.
Swap out peppers, add more garlic, there are plenty of ways you can adjust this recipe to make it exactly to your liking.