“Popeye’s Inferno” Spicy Creamed Spinach Recipe
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Spiciness Level: 4/7
Bare with us, spinach gets a bad rep and creamed spinach gets an even worse one…
- 10 oz Chopped Spinach
- 2 Tbsp Prepared Horseradish
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Ground Mustard
- 1 Chocolate Habanero
- 1/2 Cup Minced Onion
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 slices Bacon
- Pinch Salt
- Melt butter in a medium sauce pan.
- Cook onions in that butter.
- Stir in the horseradish, mustard and habanero and cook for a few more minutes.
- Toss spinach into the pan and cook for a minute.
- Add cream and stir until the whole mix starts to thicken up.
- Toss in the remaining ingredients and let sauce continue to thicken.
- Serve and enjoy.
This recipe is based on a recipe found in the 1975 Hellfire Cookbook, and while initially it sounds gross, trust us, it’s delicious. If Popeye was into spicy foods, this is his dream dish. Hard to trust him with those forearms though. Seriously, what was wrong with that guy.
If you’re interested in the full recipe, it’s in “The hellfire cookbook: Recipes for fiery food for those who like it, and for those others who, because of the sin of gluttony, should become used to … it hereafter when they will need a long spoon.” Yes, that’s the full name of the cookbook.
Overall, this will probably not be a popular dish for everyone, but it’s tasty. We know you’re skeptical, but give it a shot. At worst you end up getting the vitamins of the spinach. The original recipe called for the frozen package so we kept that the same, but you could easily swap it out for 10oz of freshly chopped spinach.
Moving forward we’d probably also try using some garlic in there as well. The smokiness of the bacon really assists the flavor of the spinach. Let us know how you like it!